1. Post your most inspirational images, videos and messages here.

Image and the Election

Discussion in 'Body Positive Inspiration' started by Laurel H, Nov 21, 2016.

1. This is something that I wrote twice, and deleted twice. I was afraid it would leave readers with a negative feeling and that's not my intention. I also don't want anyone to feel preached to, so it was one of those posts you delete and write and delete and then finally just go, OK, I'm posting it now.... Please, nobody be outraged or insulted! It's not my intention, so if you feel anything bad while reading this, please stop reading!
    I wanted to share a lesson I'm reminded of by this most recent presidential election. The president elect is not shy about announcing his talents as a business person. A business person is someone who's good at commoditizing aspects of our everyday life in a way that provides something of value (such as a feeling or experience) to the consumer's life, meaning that they're willing to pay for it. Thus, ordinary, or even normal things can become commodities.
    Case in point... The outrage surrounding comments he'd publicly made about the winner of his pageant. Whether or not this woman was aware at the time (pretty sure she's still not completely aware), she agreed to commoditize her appearances for the business of the pageant.. aka the beauty industry. As such, she most likely signed an agreement stating that she would "maintain" her body in a certain way if she were to be awarded the position of "winner". In business, when a person does not live up to the agreement they made after someone has delivered their end (so they make her the winner) they are not behaving with integrity.
    This is a complicated case because it's so obvious that this poor woman was more focused on winning than the implications of what she would need to do to carry out her agreement should she happen to be the winner and representative of the "brand" or pageant. Even more confusing is the assumption that she was simply an innocent woman trying to look pretty.
    Everybody must read the fine print. They must use their business savvy when they attempt to commoditize their own appearances in order to gain something. Pageants must make sure participants are aware of this and vice-versa.
    The overwhelming rejection by the public of the comments made about this woman by the president elect after her failure to keep her contractual agreement says to me is that we are NOT a nation of superficial nut cases. What we need to remember though is that if we don't want to be judged like she was in public, we do not TAKE something without delivering our end of the agreement in business. You do not enter into a thing so superficial as a pageant, take the winning slot and prizes, then complain that you have to do the work of maintaining the appearance that won you a prize and fame for a period of time that you'd agreed to before winning.
    As soon as you agree to be rewarded for your appearances, you are no longer an innocent individual. You have commoditized your looks for a reward and are expected to keep up your appearances in a certain way for the benefit of the entity which delivered your prizes. There's no free lunch kiddos.

So, what do we tell our young children if they were to ask why the president of the United States said things about that nice lady like that?
    We tell them this. DO NOT COMMODITIZE YOUR BEAUTY IF YOU DON'T WANT THAT TO HAPPEN. We give them this warning... If you want to sign an agreement in business, you need to keep your promises. You need to be smart before you sign your agreements to make sure that you CAN keep your promises after you get something. You need to know that EVERY WOMAN is beautiful, and that EVERY WOMAN's BEAUTY is a special thing. If you're not a good guardian of your special thing, you might try to trade it for money or power (aka commoditize it). If you don't try to use your beauty to get things from people (like money and power) then you will never have to feel obligated to conform to anyone's rules about how you must look.

As soon as you become a model, actress, pageant contestant, etc, you are displaying your beauty as a commodity to the highest bidder. The results is that your commodity will be judged by the world as just that, a commodity, a thing.
    Be wary to defend your beauty and not allow the beauty, talent, and entertainment industries to make you feel insecure. They are not intended to send you a message about yourself. They're only intended to get people to buy something, including you. Don't give up your money for things that are supposed to make you feel more beautiful if you are feeling bad about yourself beforehand. This is a ploy used to get you to part with your money. That's why we shouldn't feel bad about our bodies and appearances. Because it's not real, it's a feeling created to make us part with our money in exchange for "solutions" or for "reassurance".

It's too bad that this poor woman doesn't understand that she has commoditized her appearance and failed to keep her business agreement. The best we can do is make sure we understand what went on, even though it's ugly.
    That said, when I was a model, I'd signed an agreement like the ones I've just mentioned. That's how I know these things. These are not assumptions, this is how it works. Employment means you are doing work for money. If you agree that your work is to look a certain way, then you must keep that look if you want to money, and especially if you've already taken the money (or fame, or publicity, or power, or whatever you wanted and were given)!

It is hypocritical to tell an industry that you will look and behave a certain way if they make you their winner, then fail to deliver on your promise and cry victim about feeling personally hurt.
    Again, I feel sorry for the pageant woman, she doesn't realize what's going on. Now she's even being used as political folly by the very party that is touting their support of women's rights! The lesson is don't commoditize your beauty, not commoditize your beauty and expect to never have to suffer judgement in return! It's too bad, but the lesson for our children is this....
    BE HONEST, KEEP YOUR WORD IN LIFE AND IN BUSINESS, UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE COMMODITIZING, and make good decisions about how you're going to make a living in this world.
    And for the rest of us, we signed no agreement with the people that think they can judge us. Therefore, if they're disappointed in our looks, it's because they just don't understand that they've not made themselves important enough to us that their whims might affect how we tend to our bodies. If they want to be that important, they can start their own pageant.

Hope my message inspires someone. I don't mean it to be too preachy or harsh. I just get annoyed with politicians and business people manipulating sensitive people who aren't aware of exactly what's at stake or who's making choices. Parents teach your children that they must keep their word, and they must know that if they're being given a prize, money, attention, etc, there is a price to pay. If they want to pay that price, then good, they can enter into that agreement. If they want the prize without the agreement, they will cause themselves much suffering... unfortunately. AND it's easy for public figures to point to an example of a failed business transaction as victimization of all women... It's not fair, it's dishonest, and unfortunately, its very affective... though in this case not effective enough.

BoPo Team likes this.
  2. I completely agree with your thoughts and statements. I am sooooo glad you posted this as you always speak from the heart. I think a lot of people don't think things through enough and that ends up causing many more problems for them down the road. The email I sent out a few days ago made me wonder if this woman had wanted her big break so bad that she signed on the dotted line without every reading the contract stating she had to maintain a certain weight! Ridiculous!!!!