1. This is an area to post your story to inspire others. Show your support by commenting on the stories that resonate most strongly with you.

New (Healthier) Me

Discussion in 'Share Your Story' started by Gabriella M, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Hi there:),
    Well first I should begin by saying that I have always been a bigger girl and sometime people would tease me in elementary school and middle school. I have a pretty strong personality so I never really let it get to me so I just tracked on as usual. I have always been a competitive swimmer. I swam until I was grade 11 so I had developed broad shoulders and bigger thighs. When I stopped swimming unfortunately I became vary inactive, but continued to consume the same amount of food. I am a huge foodie and I just love all things sweet and junk foodie. Over the next 5-6 years I quickly scaled to over 200 pounds. Going through the first couple years of university didn't help me because the stress caused more eating and less excersise. In the middle of my third year I went out with some friends and took pictures. Going through the those pictures I really began to realize that my face had began to look like a circle and I knew I didn't want to live like that. So I began an Atkins diet which I did over 4 months. Just eating meat and veggies and going to the gym everyday for 2-3 hours really paid off. At first I was not confident enough to even go to the gym but I got over it and said "You can do it!" I lost 60 pounds in the first couple of months and eve body began to notice and congratulate me. It felt really good to get my old self back. I got to 140 pounds and I felt strong a healthy. Unfortunately all those greens and not enough carbs irritated my stomach and I had to go on anti-acid medication for the next few months which made it very difficult to study and focus in school. I had to really watch what I ate. I went gluten free and I am to this day. Once my stomach got healthier I was able to eat properly again and I gained 10 pounds and to this day I have been maintaining around 150 pounds or so. I still love food but when I balance it with excersise I can treat myself. The outtake from all of this is that everyone has an image of their body that they want to look like but it is so hard to get into it at first. Once you change your lifestyle for a healthier one the weight just melts off. You really don't have to starve yourself and cut off all foods like I did in the beginning as long as you have a balanced lifestyle. When I gained those 10 pounds I felt like a fat person again but then I look at the progress and say to myself "Look how far you have come. 10 pounds is nothing and if everything you look healthier and stronger than you did at 140!" Which keeps me going, trying to not fall into old habits of restriction or binging. Currently I have maintained this weight for about 2-3 years and my boyfriend is a huge motivation for me so to go the gym, we go together, and support each other. People always ask me for advice and I just tell them my story and how I did it, what I should have done better and the hurdles I had to over come.

picture.jpg

2. Gabriella,

Thank you soon much for sharing your story! The words you state that feel me with warmth are when at the end you state:

"People always ask me for advice and I just tell them my story and how I did it, what I should have done better and the hurdles I had to over come."

There is no greater gift than being able to have an effect on another human being! You are blessed with that gift as a result of being a warrior and overcoming your struggles!

So happy to have you as a part of our community! Your story will inspire!

3. "Look how far you have come. 10 pounds is nothing and if everything you look healthier and stronger than you did at 140!"

That's what truly matters! Feeling strong and healthy! the scale is not a depiction of health! Thanks for sharing your story!

Star and BoPo Team like this.
  4. Its great to know that there are other warriors of light in this world sharing the importance of healthy food choices and how it affects your body and mind both! Keep shining soul sister!

BoPo Team, Star and Julie Newmeyer like this.
  5. Hello, fellow foodie! My mom has the mentality of "food is fuel," and I'm always reminding her how glorious a good meal is. Haha. Thank you for sharing. My favorite thing about your post is its honesty and your genuine smile. Through lifestyle changes and more, you've come out a better and stronger person and I'm so glad you're here to share your positive attitude with us. <3

BoPo Team likes this.