1. In this area feel free to discuss all things body positive

The Media and Its Negative Effect on Body Image

Discussion in 'All Things Body Positive' started by BoPo Team, Oct 25, 2016.

1. The media has to take a lot of the blame for the current state of poor body image amongst the general population.

The video below truly will open your eyes to this fact!

The one statistic mentioned in the video that stood out for us was the fact that 20 years ago the average model weighed 8% less than the average women and today the average model weighs 23% less than he average woman!

What do you feel has provoked this shift? Let's get a discussion going on this very important topic!

Amanda and Kimmy like this.
  2. The media is simply the vessel used to spread the message and I believe that the message is the problem in seeing it this way it is less intimidating. Trying to change the media is a taunting task where as the message is where we can make a difference.
    I believe we can do this in exactly the way this website intends, use media against itself!!! Let's keep talking!!

Kimmy and BoPo Team like this.
  3. I recently read that 67% of women in America are considered "plus-sized" (which I think is size 14 and up) but only 2% of those women are represented in the media. The media does make a difference for me - subconsciously. When I look at magazines, watch TV and subconsciously recognize that none of those women have a body that looks like mine, I do feel like I'm not the norm - that I need to be something different. But when I fill my IG feed with powerful women speaking a powerful message of self worth and love - when I look around me in public...it makes me feel like I'm not alone and there's nothing to be ashamed of. There's power in community and perspective. Why the shift? My instinct says money and marketing. It's certainly more lucrative for business if people hate their bodies. Can you imagine the types of businesses that would lose massive amounts of money if people suddenly decided that they were good enough and didn't need to be different than they are?

BoPo Team and Jillian like this.
  4. I love what you said kimmy, I totally understand everything you wrote and feel the exact same way. I love IG and the fact that I manage my own media there!! It's an extremely positive way to use media to change the message that reaches us. I dream of a day that companies use positive messages to sell their products, I believe if companies change their message And understand that us as citizens want a new approach in how they use media we will all be in a better place, I personally will go out of my way to support a company that is promoting positivity rather than praying on insecurity. I want to imagine company's thriving from promoting equality and I believe this is possible. Websites like this is a big part of showing how we can all make a change!!

BoPo Team likes this.
  5. I couldn't agree with you more Kimmy! I also recently read many are thinking of changing the term "plus-size" to "real-size". What are your thoughts on that idea?

6. Part of my larger vision wth this site is to cause a global change. This may take a year or two but we as a whole need to support the companies who support us. A change is coming! Mindfulness is on the rise and body positivity is trending in a major way right now. Unfortunately more people need to feel pissed at the media enough to fight for change. If they don't see the problem, they won't feel the need to fight for a solution.

Jillian likes this.
  7. You know, I'm not sure I like "real size" that much better because then what does that mean for those that aren't size 12 and up? Are size 0-12 then considered "not real size"? It's like saying "Real Women Have Curves" in an attempt to claim pride for curvy bodies, but in doing so, you're saying that women without curves aren't real but...fake? invisible? I think the question is, how can all women define their size without tearing anybody else down?

BoPo Team and Jillian like this.
  8. What a GREAT point Kimmy! I agree with you!